Week 8: Make Your Home Among Strangers

This week in my FYE class, we read the book Make Your Home Among Strangers by Jennine Crucet. This book tells the story of a first generation Cuban American named Lizet who goes to the prestigious college of Rawlings. Her experience is unique to most college students because her family is not very supportive of her college decision. Similarly, I am the first person in my family to go away for college. My brothers went to college in our hometown, but they never completed. My mom got her associates degree at her local college, and my dad did a little bit of college in his hometown but then dropped out to do become a manager at his job. Therefore, no one was really able to prepare me for the going away college experience, however, thankfully, it has not been too hard of a transition. Although Augusta will always be "home," Georgia Southern is a great second home. I love all the new friends I have made while pursuing my higher education. I love all the clubs that you can get involved in and how there is always someone down to go get food in the dining commons.
If I was in Lizet's shoes I would tell her that although focusing on academics is very important, I believe that she should also embrace a social life a little bit more. I would encourage her to maybe join a club so that she is able to meet more friends.
 (1) Make Your Home Among Strangers

Although Make Your Home Among Strangers is a fictional novel, I was surprised to learn that the event that centered around the little Cuban boy Ariel was actually very similar to what happened in Miami during the year 2000. The boy's name is Elián González, and he was found on the coast of Ft. Lauderdale nearly dead at the age of 5. I watched the documentary "Elian" on the Kanopy app (2), and his story really interested me. Although people say that Elián now has been brainwashed by the Cuban government, him returning to Cuba was in his best interest. Although his mother risked her own life for his freedom, Elián made it very clear that his heart was in Cuba and his father. I was surprised to see Fidel Castro so invested in Elián even after all the legal matters was over, however, I could see how that could be tied in with Elián being brainwashed. Yeah, his life would have been completely different if he would have stayed in Miami, but Elián helped to unite the Cuban people. I believe that it also gave them a sense of hope.

On Wednesday, the author of Make Your Home Among Strangers Jennine Crucet came and spoke at Georgia Southern. She began by giving a little bit about her background and what inspired her to write the fictional book. I found her speech informational considering I did not know she was an English professor also, therefore that was interesting to learn. I also like how she mentioned that she includes that she also was a "first gen" college student  on her syllabus so that other students know that they can go to her for advice and/or counseling. I did not personally agree with everything that she said or how she handled different questions, but overall it was an entertaining experience.

(1) https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Home-Among-Strangers/dp/1250094550
(2) https://georgiasouthern.kanopy.com/frontpage

Comments

Popular Posts