Week 12: Evaluating Information and Academic Research

This week in FYE, we focused on evaluating fake news and how to conduct scholarly academic research.

Monday
On Monday, we went through multiple articles and deciphered whether they were fake news or an accurate article. At first, I honestly was just guessing on every article, but then soon I was able to catch on. I was able to look at the name of the source to be able to tell the difference. If it was a reliable source like TIME or New York Times, I could be a little bit more confident that the news was real. However, if the source was from a satire website like The Onion, then I could be more confident that it was fake news. Also, if you read the article and something makes zero sense, it can also help you make your decision. Ultimately, this helped us to learn how to fact check our articles.

Wednesday
(2)
For Wednesday's class, we had to brainstorm and craft a powerful question that we would be able to construct a research project on. First, we had to conduct research using Google and find one article relating to our question. Since my question was a science question, I had to make sure that my article was fairly new so that it was more accurate. Then, we had to go on MyGeorgiaSouthern and go on to the Library Home Page to find a scholarly article. I also, found a more recent article for this one as well.
Then, in class we did the CRAAP Test. We checked the currency, relevancy, authority, accuracy, and purpose of our Google article. After we did the CRAAP test of the article, we compared the Google article with the scholarly article. One of the questions were as follows:
1. How do the sources compare in terms of author credibility?
I stated that one of the authors is a journalist and the other is an associate professor of law with many other accreditations.

After completing the comparison I was able to see how much more accurate the scholarly review was compared to the other article. This week in FYE, I was able to see the importance of finding not only good sources, but also checking to see how accurate they are before conducting any research.

Resources:
1. https://library.georgiasouthern.edu/
2. https://blogs.furman.edu/library-news/2018/09/17/the-craap-test/

Comments

Popular Posts