Week 13: Diversity and Inclusion IV - Film - Motorcycle Diaries

Motorcycle Diaries 

These past two weeks in FYE, we watched and discussed The Motorcycle Diaries. The film is about two friends (Fuser and Alberto) traveling on a motorcycle (and on foot) around South America. They travel through Argentina, Chile, Peru, Columbia, and Venezuela. Fuser also goes to the USA before going back to Argentina. Before beginning the trip, Fuser had one more semester before finishing medical school, and Alberto was a biochemist. I mean if you don't go now when will you ever go right? The film shows that the journey was not all rainbows and butterflies, but was draining physically and psychologically. Fuser was completely shocked by the poverty in all of the countries. However, I was completely shocked to find out that Fuser was actually Che Guevara, and the film was based on his life as a young adult.

In class on Wednesday of the next week, I was so happy to see and learn that "Al Otro Lado Del Río" by Jorge Drexler won an Oscar in 2005. The song was absolutely beautiful. It was so cool to learn that they wouldn't even let him perform the song on stage, but I loved his response when giving his "speech."

One of the questions that we were asked in class was... "Was Che Guevara a hero or a villain?"
Personally, from all the videos and discussions, I would say that he was a villain. I do not agree with all the people that was murdered for his "cause." I do believe that his intentions were good, but ultimately they took individualism and freedom away. I learned so much that past two weeks from not trusting everything I read in history books to who the real Che Guevara is. There are biased viewpoints, and I am aware of that. Honestly what or who can we trust? If anything, the one thing that I have learned the most in this class is the power of questioning.

Comments

  1. I agree that his intentions were good, but his actions were unnecessarily violent. That seems to be a common theme with communism; total equality sounds great in theory, but it always end up turning for the worst.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts